Written by Tom Glennan
Congratulations to Maryann Bowen, who was approved by the STC Board of Directors to receive the Distinguished Chapter Service Award (DCSA) for 2014! Maryann was recognized as a DCSA recipient at the recent STC Summit in Phoenix as well as in the online STC Notebook and in the May 2014 issue of Intercom.
The DCSA is bestowed in recognition of the recipient’s exemplary effort, energy and dedication to his or her community and its activities. Maryann was nominated for her commitment and service to the technical communication profession, and to STC-SM in particular. Whether it’s her service to the chapter by serving in a variety of elected and volunteer positions, her dedication to providing value for our chapter members or her tireless efforts to develop and present meaningful program events and speakers, Maryann has served as an inspiration and model we would all do well to emulate.
In recognition of her significant professional and personal accomplishments, Maryann was presented with her DCSA certificate at the STC-SM volunteer recognition dinner meeting held on June 25. Please make a point of congratulating and thanking Maryann when you see her at an upcoming STC-SM event.
Elections are underway for the 2014-15 chapter term. STC/SM chapter members should have already received an email from “electionbuddy elections” containing instructions to participate in online voting. The online process includes the actual ballot and profile information for each candidate.
If you are a current chapter member and have not received the election instructions, or you are unable to complete the online voting process, please contact [email protected].
submitted by Jill Money, Nominations Chair
Spring is FINALLY here, which means it’s time for STC-SM Council nominations. We hope that you will be able to get involved this year with our chapter. This is a perfect time to take steps to build your professional network, skills, and resume – and help build your STC community at the same time.
The most significant opportunity – and the most critical, immediate need – is for volunteers to run for chapter officer positions (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer) as well as two elected (but non-officer) Nominations Committee positions.
Nominations are now open for the 2014-2015 election. The election will take place May 20-30 for the year of July, 2014 through June, 2015. We hope that you might have a chapter member in mind that you think would make a great officer (that can include yourself)! Please note that candidates must be chapter members. Send your ideas or any questions to [email protected].
If you’re not quite ready to commit to elected office, there are plenty of other ways to get involved in chapter activities. For example:
- Join the chapter listserv and our groups on Facebook, and LinkedIn, and follow @STCSM on Twitter.
- Attend a program meeting or networking event.
- Serve as a greeter at a program meeting.
- Host a networking lunch – or breakfast, or happy hour – in your local area.
- Plan to attend all or part of the STC Summit, May 17-20 in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Ask your employer to sponsor a program meeting or other event. (Various levels of sponsorship are available, starting with simply providing meeting space free of charge.)
- Write an article for the chapter blog.
- Volunteer to manage or serve on a council committee: Membership, Blog, Nominations, Programs, Publicity, and Website all have openings. See Volunteer Opportunities on the chapter website, or contact any council member for more information.