submitted by Jill Money, Nominations Chair
Spring is FINALLY here, which means it’s time for STC-SM Council nominations. We hope that you will be able to get involved this year with our chapter. This is a perfect time to take steps to build your professional network, skills, and resume – and help build your STC community at the same time.
The most significant opportunity – and the most critical, immediate need – is for volunteers to run for chapter officer positions (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer) as well as two elected (but non-officer) Nominations Committee positions.
Nominations are now open for the 2014-2015 election. The election will take place May 20-30 for the year of July, 2014 through June, 2015. We hope that you might have a chapter member in mind that you think would make a great officer (that can include yourself)! Please note that candidates must be chapter members. Send your ideas or any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re not quite ready to commit to elected office, there are plenty of other ways to get involved in chapter activities. For example:
- Join the chapter listserv and our groups on Facebook, and LinkedIn, and follow @STCSM on Twitter.
- Attend a program meeting or networking event.
- Serve as a greeter at a program meeting.
- Host a networking lunch – or breakfast, or happy hour – in your local area.
- Plan to attend all or part of the STC Summit, May 17-20 in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Ask your employer to sponsor a program meeting or other event. (Various levels of sponsorship are available, starting with simply providing meeting space free of charge.)
- Write an article for the chapter blog.
- Volunteer to manage or serve on a council committee: Membership, Blog, Nominations, Programs, Publicity, and Website all have openings. See Volunteer Opportunities on the chapter website, or contact any council member for more information.